My Random Thoughts and Experiences

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Nigerias Healthcare Nigerians Healthscare

I have been thinking about moving back to Nigeria for a while now, and every time I come home for the holidays, the thoughts become stronger ...until now. Nigeria’s Healthcare system has scared me big time. It seems there are remedies for all Nigeria’s problems if you have money, but one thing you can't ignore is healthcare. One can tell me”but Femi B if you have money, you can travel out of the country and get treatment outside" But my reply is what if time and movement are huge factors? One leaving in Nigeria should just pray that they never fall really sick because.......

Here are a few problems that bothered me to the top. But I’ll give a quick synopsis

My dad is ill so we've been in the hospital for a couple of weeks now. They tell us to consider ourselves lucky because first, he is in the best hospital (UCH) in Nigeria in terms of expertise and he is in the private suite wing of the hospital (meaning he pays more he gets preferential treatment and a "hotel like" room. BULLSHIT!!!!!

1. This so called "hotel Like" room never has constant water running, we beg them to fetch water and they give us attitude. Light is never constant (a couple of times he has been administered drugs and care with the nurse placing a flash/torch light in her mouth so her hands are free to administer care to him. Nothing is handicap accessible; you literally jump out of the elevator onto the landing (that’s even if the elevator works). Equipment regularly malfunctions or there is no power to turn them on. With all these silly issues, they are charging crazy for their so called "private suite".
We’ve brought our Generator, water, toiletries, gloves and much more because they seem stingy with theirs e.g one tiny harsh toilet roll for one week.

2. Most of these nurses and in-house DR.'s don’t know what they are doing. We have to keep our own chart and document everything because they are not doing their jobs properly or they forget what drugs they've already given him. Mosquito has almost chopped me with the lack of flush doors and mosquito net. And they still charge crazy money
ok maybe their hotel like room, big enough, tv,ac, hot leaking fridge, computer &internet, private bathroom aka bathing disaster, nice paintings, automatic bed the nurses don’t know how to operate and less more..Lol.

3. Using the toilet is a disaster as one has to spread legs so as not to be hitting the sink or the shower basin, because there is no ample space. One would be thinking with this design the contractor must definitely be a retard....nothing else. everything is elevated and there are no ramps, I mean how does one who is confined to a wheel chair or a really sick person manage to enter and have good bath well well without tripping and cracking a skull or two...lol and they continue to charge crazy fees.

Then if they say we are lucky, I wonder what happens to those in the other wards and those that have not gotten money to have such "hospital Luxury". I mean I met a lady down stairs one day asking me to aid her with her son’s drug bill. I imagined it would be so high that was why she could not pay it. Then I asked her to show me the bill, it was N1, 200 ($10) men...I was humbled, I gave her the money and see how this old woman was kneeling to thank me. It’s embarrassed and saddened me a bit. I wonder how many others out there not able to afford some basic things.

Today is the last day of the year, Im thankful for family and friends, those that are praying, prayed and those who are even financially helping us too. More grease to your ashy elbows and may your elbows continue to be greased throughout 2009. Seriously, May God bless everyone tremendously, may God know your house address and may the devil loose your house address... Amen..till next year.
Have a wonderful new year everyone.

17 comments:

bumight said...

this is the one reason why I'm scared for Nigeria. one doesnt know how lucky one is not to experience such.

Happy New year babes.

clnmike said...

Wow, I see your concern, time will tell if things improve.

If you can have a Happy New Year.

kuesooM said...

My dearest little Femi.....praying for your dad daily! It is well in Jesus name.

Happy new year!

seye said...

Femi Beckley, HAPPY NEW YEAR. My emphasis on the HAPPY! Femi, may all unfavorable moments be turned to joy.
I keep praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Femi!!!

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

my sista, your pops is in my prayers. Any update?

Happy new year, my sista!

Buttercup said...

it really is sad..may God help us..

i hope ur dad is getting better..i wish him good health this year.

happ new year sweetie!

im still in naija o..r u in lagos tho?

Chris Ogunlowo said...

Hi Femi,

Sorry about your dad. Hope he is strong now.

You know I spent the break in IB. And on two occassions, I passed UCH. I could have stopped by to say if i knew you were there. But then, the only thing I enjoy about hospitals is the smell. Only.

Welcome a beautiful year.

Cheers.

Rebirth said...

hey dearie, hope ur alright! just checking up on u

Nigerian Drama Queen said...

Hope your dad is getting better!
Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

are you ok dear? Please update! I hope Dad's ok!

THe AFriCan pOet® said...

Be the first to know about the poetry Africa TV Reality Show.
Coming soon!
See page @ www.thepoetryafrica.blogspot.com

Geebee said...

Nigeria still has a million miles to go when it comes to reaching the destination of a perfect health care system. It freaks me out so bad that I’d rather stay home and use all the medicine I could get than stay in the hospital. Well, sometimes we don’t have a choice though. I’m sure dad’s feeling much better now. Been a while we last heard from you. I guess the naija factor’s been responsible for that to an extent too. Na wa for this country o. Take care, sis. Happy New Year.

Unknown said...

i understand. Nigerian Health Care zero. money without connections will get you killed.

THe AFriCan pOet® said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
LG said...

dearie' how far?
hope all is well, daddy nko???
pls update

Nigerian Drama Queen said...

Just stopping by to see if your okay! Hope your dad is getting better. You are missed.