My Random Thoughts and Experiences

Monday, December 29, 2008

UCH Holiday

At the ending of summer this year, I had some weird thoughts about how I had a perfect family and how everyone was fine and dandy. I looked at each one of the members of my family and not one had any problem or so ever. We have never had any misfortune or any serious issue that couldn't be taken care of. I wondered if God favored my family so much because when you hear other stories of different families....... Then i thanked God and asked him to preserve this grace and mercy over my family.

Now months later, planning to come home to Nigeria for a wonderful holiday, and i came home to nights, days, holidays, birthdays and all in UCH (horrid Hosipital in Ibadan). I asked God why why why? because all i could remember was ..He has always given us grace to triumph such in due time and it seems like this nightmare does not want to end quickly especially during this festive period. I mean how depressing is xmas day in the hospital. (even the UCH staff tried to cheer us up by giving him a gift and taking a picture. I was so mad, who wants a picture remembering such nonsense)

From this experience I have been greatly humbled. I have had some serious pet peeves that now i must say i have overcome them. eg
I can never seem to stand to watch someone brush their teeth. I would almost puke. (however now, I do that for my dad and even much more. I refused to change diapers for my lovely niece because i thought it was just nasty but now i do more for my dad.

My dad is still in the hospital now and i pray daily that he gets better than even before. Tomorrow is going to be his 66th birthday and it pains me that his plan for his "jeans and mini skirt party " would be holding in UCH this year. I love my dad dearly and i believe he is the best dad i could ever have


I remember the year I was to come to the US to study. My mum had travelled and had asked my dad to make sure i got my student visa or she would hold him responsible. My dad in his busy schedule drove me to the embassy that morning and we began to queue. A couple of hours later, we realized that he had forgotten his money bag at yaba which is quite far from where the embassy was considering the traffic in Lagos. My dad suggested going back to the house, but i told him that if he went with his car, he might not be back by the time they call for me and I would not be able to pay for my visa fees and that would hold a huge problem eg not getting my visa

My dad decided to charter an okada man (dangerous commercial motorcycles) in his native attire and head to yaba and back in due time. My dad then was the chairman of Ibadan North Local govt, (like a Mayor of a county) and was also clocking 60. He told me that while crossing the 3rd mainland bridge, he used his fila (hat) to cover his face so no one would recognize him. That small act by my dad made me have the uttermost respect and love for him because i wonder if I was 60 and holding a public office, will i ever take okada (dangerous commercial motorcycles) to aid my child?????


Happy Birthday Akinbayo Olufemi Beckley. Get well soon. Aint i lucky..im named after both my mum and my dad.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thinking of your family still and sending my prayers to God.

May he get out of the hospital soon and have a clean bill of health! I hope you're well too, Femi B :)

(And yes, what an honour to be named for both parents! You are spoiled!)

Anonymous said...

It is well with your dad in Jesus name

Anonymous said...

I so hope your Dad gets better soonest! And things like this teaches us how to be compassionate!

littleangel4christ said...

Happy Birthday to ur dad...
Take care and God is with you!!!

Rebirth said...

ur in my prayers darling......xx

Ms.O said...

I hope your dad gets better You shall be in my prayers. and Happy birthday to your dad.

seye said...

Femi, am praying for you! I understand a little of what you feel! *hugs dear!

clnmike said...

My prayers to you and your family.

Toluwa said...

i hope ur dad gets better! A miracle will happen even in this festive season...

LG said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DADDY'
IT IS WELL

Unknown said...

I feel your pains Femi and I know how much your Dad means to you...

...those little deeds that mean nothing to some are usually the greatest show of love and in most cases, the most remembered...


Love will see him through.

I see light at the end of the tunnel...smile!

bumight said...

Happy Birthday to your dad. I pray he gets better soon...

aloted said...

This post brought tears to my eyes esp the part where your dad had to take okada over 3rd mainland bridge!!!...

I am speechless but i pray healing into Papa Beckely's life in Jesus name.