My Random Thoughts and Experiences

Friday, July 18, 2008

Naija style Love letters part 1


Some years back, a friend and I used to write mockery love letters in Yoruba, pidgin and all sorts. They were strictly for fun so I decided to try my hands out again on a Yoruba love letter and see if I've improved on my "D7 WAEC" Yoruba (i know i failed oh, I was so useless). Anyway here is my rendition of a love letter written by a Guy to his beloved...Adufe. I'll add a translation for obvious reasons. Here it goes...

WARNING!: Ami (accents )might just not be correct but bear with me

Adùf...... owunmi lobìrin, oréké lé wà ọmgé...mo nífé rè tori torùn, tèsè táyá, tojú, tẹ́nu
Od
ùn lobìrin lá tokè dé ìsàlè. Tim bá tin ri ẹ áyá mi á ma gbìgbìgbì
lmgé ljè tutu
Lar
ìn awọ̀n mobìrin tí o wa lay yìí, iwo ni kàn mi yàn
To b
á kọ̀ látì fẹ́ mi, mo má pá rá mi si lórùn
W
á e temi..emi náà fẹ́ e tí
Aw
ọ̀n sisi p ni gbóró tí mo fí yan
od
ùn jú gbógbó cranberry juice lay yìí ati rún....

Adùf baby mi... jọ́wọ̀ dákun e temi.....babi yii jóò
mo f
í ásík yìí élérí fún wípé nígbò jò, nígborùn, bí ìlẹ́ bán jó, bólẹ̀ bán já, tí ẹ ní mó má é lojokojo

Ti
ni tóòt
k Adùf

English
Adufe...a woman of my choice, beautiful young damsel. I love you from head to toe
Sweet lady from top to bottom. Whenever I set my eyes on you....my heart beats fast
Cool calm and collected beautiful damsel
Of all the women in the world, you are my hearts choice
If you fail to be with me, I can kill myself
Be mine, I want to be yours
There are many women in the world but i picked you
You are the sweetest juice ever
Baby please, be mine, please now,
I want to use this time to let you know that in all weather conditions and disasters, I'll be yours at all time


Truly Yours
Adufe's Boo

Thanks to everyone who helped in giving me a line or two charizard, Wellsbaba
stolen or original, used or not used..thanks. And to the guys that might wanna steal this and use for their babes........ feel free....lol. I'd like to do a pidgin one too..but hmmm...so if you have such lines please share. I am pidgin challenged sometimes. I'll quote you MLA style..thanks

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! The killer for me was the last sentence!

Now I have to find a man to woo so I can use your services...

Anonymous said...

femi maybe u can ask people who r not yoruba to write it in their own language from the English translation and post it...that'll be interesting

Buttercup said...

lol that was nice..im of the opinion that yoruba(or any other language) has more of an 'effect' than english..isnt there a translation for 'cranberry juice' in yoruba? lol...

Femi B said...

GNG, Yes, I heard something similar from a yoruba movie..for reals anyone would be wooed...

Anonymous, that'll be cool

Buttercup, i dont think the translation would do it justice, juice in yoruba i think is omi which also means water...i think it'll water down the effect.lol

Anonymous said...

Femi Beckley, na you be dis? I was in ISI with you. (ISI don spoil, by the way!) You were in my brother's set (I think you graduated around 1999 or 2000, no?).

Good to know you're doing well o! Keep up the blog - I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

The love letter na waya.

Femi B said...

Anony @ 12.52pm, yeah its me. Who's ur bro? ISI in my eyes must never spoil...
thanks

Buttercup said...

oh wow..ddnt know juice was omi...lol...

O'Dee said...

lol! a yoruba luf letter. I have 2 tell rabbi 2 write me one.

Aspa d pidgin one u can write;

- my tender lover

Hv a lvli week.

BlogVille Idol said...

We are down to d final two on blogville idol!!pls head over to d page and listen to ABBie & Dammy battle it out!!!pls listen to them and vote..we also have some guest bloggers singing!!u wanna know who they are??why dont u run to d idol page now!!and pls dont forget to leave us a kind comment!!

Unknown said...

Love the yoruba love letter. It made me laugh too. Yoruba is such a beautiful language. I like anon 6.06's idea. Shd be fun. Thanks for stopping by mine.

Nigerian Drama Queen said...

Haha why am I just discovering your blog?! Oh the days of love letters..how can I ever forget! Even though I dont understand Yoruba, I got quite a good laugh...
Thank you so much for your comment on my blog. FGM is really a complex matter bcause there are so many layers to consider: culture, religion, colonialism...it can become a circular topic almost. The comments I have received have brought up so many of the dynamics that must be considered when addressing this issue. I will blog on it again, soon.
Thanks for stopping by my blog!

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

hahahaha. That last sentence na wa!!! Please write a pidgin english love letter from a girl to her guy. I would use it, lol!


NIGERIAN CURIOSITY
IT WAS SO MUCH EASIER WHEN I ONLY HAD ONE...

wellsbaba said...

"odùn jú gbógbó cranberry juice layẹ yìí ati ọrún"...lol...crazy mixtue of ol'skool n d new
"Tim bá tin ri ẹ áyá mi á ma ṣẹ gbìgbìgbì
Ọlọmọgé Ẹlẹjè tutu"...hahahaha.crazy,u phased it better than I did..lol...

archiwiz said...

LOL...Nice...I'll think up a pidgin one to write for you. But you need to specify if it should make you laugh, or be serious.

Femi B said...

@oluwadee- why not do y'all vows in yoruba? hey that gives me an idea...
@naijalines...we can go national oh with that idea.
@NDQ, hope u understand pidgin, im complying one for my non yoruba readers.
@Solomonsydelle, i'll do one from a female, but i have to be cited oh when u use it.....lol
@Wellsbaba, old school and new?? i guess sha
@archiwiz, serious, funny...lets have a mixture of both...

Chris Ogunlowo said...

I want to start writing love letters in Yoruba.


So when are you commissioning me to write your inauguration speech?

Femi B said...

@aloofa- I am glad that you are inspired , about the speech, just know your name is in my easy/fast reach purse. As soon as those services are needed, you'll be contacted immediately.

Unknown said...

Ha Femi! Love letter?

I guess I need to start stalking your blog...guess I would need one of these letters someday! lol.

How you dey?

NaijaBabe said...

lol...sweet

dblog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.