My Random Thoughts and Experiences

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Camping Trip


Last weekend i went camping with my house mates. I have never gone camping before (the real one) and i suddenly developed an interest when GNG had blogged about it.
I headed of to Maunch chunk lake in Pennsylvania, an hour and a half drive away from me. It was really a drive through the woods. At several times i got so scared because i was the only one on a narrow road with trees high as the sky for about 15 mins. I mean ...you could barely even see they sky. Anyway i got there and i had missed the rock climbing, hiking and bike riding experience..i was a little bombed about that, but then again, when i tried to picture my self trying to lift my behind on a rocky mountain...i laugh and thank God i missed it.
We got to the camp site and sat around the fire eating steak, boiled clams and playing music. I had the drums to beat on (i guess i was the only black person there, so i had to show my rhythmic skills). After, we played some weird game called slack line. Its where you tie a rope to two trees and try to steadily walk on the rope without falling. Chei!, i tried it oh , but as i put one leg on it..my whole body was just giggling..like i was dancing shina peters. After 5 trys, I gave up so as not to embarrass my dear self. We ended the night and went to sleep and it was the most uncomfortable sleep I've slept in a while. I did however wake up with a toad in my tent hopping away. I wonder if it was supposed to be my prince charming.....now i will never find out oh, cos it did not wait for me to kiss it...stupid frog.
I did have a very calming time away from civilization, but i couldn't help but think what a different experience i would have had if i had gone with my Naija crew...men we would have had some serious fun. First of all the food would have been slamming, i mean i can bet my life that someone would have cooked at least jollof rice. (you hear cook outs and BBQ's and some how...J-rice just has to find its way in)
I also know we would have had some stimulating argument on naija politics or Obama or We would have done our own Karaoke to Yahooze or Gongo aso.
Anyway I owe this experience to Good naija girl , cos she got me thinking about the whole camping thing. Maybe someday we would get to camp in Canadarrrr ..lol( i have a friend who says canadar with the rolling R and Eforr too...weird)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm so glad you went camping. It sounds like you went to a really picturesque place and it's a shame you missed the hiking part of it (bike riding isn't my bag sha). I bet you would have loved the view from the top!

I love going camping with someone who has a guitar so we can play music. Did you bring the drums or did someone else have them?

When I saw "boiled clams" I read "boiled yams" and I was going to say "Wow, you brought isu camping? that's cool!" :)

I would have worried that I'd break the rope sha...give yourself three cheers for trying this slack line thing I've never heard of. It wasn't too high off the ground was it?

Ok, I'm not cool with wildlife in my tent so kudos to you for not freaking over having a toad share a tent with you! How did it get in? Sleeping on the ground takes some getting used to...if you decide to make camping a regular thing you can get an air mattress (I am waiting for them to go on sale).

Oh! Come camping in Canada! I guarantee you'd have a blast :) (And no, I'm not just saying that)

Getting away from it all is nice at times, and it's so quiet at night in most campsites. I'm glad you had a good time!

Femi B said...

@gng- I have talking drums but my roomates bf brought the drum i played on...next time i'll take my talking drum and sekere.The line wasnt too high of the ground so if you could not balance on it you could fall off and not really have a long way down.Me i dont know how that toad got in oh... anyway our tent was not deluxe like everyone else so i guess it was able to skeak in.

Rebirth said...

cute picture........
i'd love to go camping sef. it should be a must have experience

Zayzee said...

u had fun no doubt. that is good

aloted said...

hmm camping sha! good to hear u had fun though :)

Nigerian Drama Queen said...

Hey babes,
Im working on my senior paper at the moment and stopped by to ask your opinion on something:

What do you think about the use of the term "Female Genital Mutilation". Do you think Female Circumcision is a better term and less insulting?

Will be back to read this post. Please let me know your thoughts when you get the chance!