My Random Thoughts and Experiences

Monday, May 19, 2008

Smoke Detectors......... a Nigerian necessity.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200805180504198
I read that tragic news and almost fell into tears. It was so sad to hear such a tragic and painful loss especially when it has to do with Fire. Very gruesome. I know loads of people blamed NEPA /PHCN (Nigeria's power generating sector)or whatever their name is for the incident but taking a further look into it, i think a smoke detector would have saved the day. With the situation in Nigeria, almost every house hold i know has a generator. Mosts of these generators are located in very hazardous locations. My sisters house for example, there are 2 generators located under the stair case which is their only and i say only exit out of the building. In my parents house in Ibadan, our generator was always located far away and enclosed from us. We did not have a smoke detector but most houses in Nigeria, especially Lagos becos of space restrictions, are forced to having their generators besides their house and also kegs and containers of diesel right besides the generator. SUICIDAL I MUST SAY. As soon as i heard the story, i told my sister to go get a smoke detector in her house and she must have thought i was out of my mind. With the situation of NEPA, No light, Candles, Generators, Diesel,Slow to no response from the fire dept, i think it should be a law that everyone owned a smoke detector in their homes. It is not that expensive and it runs on battery so i say if you can afford a generator and fuel it with the high costs of diesel , OGA YOU CAN PURCHASE THAT SMOKE AND FIRE DETECTOR. IT WOULD SAVE YOUR LIFE ONE DAY. Excuse me, i need to go and check my own smoke detector in my house, so I am practicing what i am preaching

No comments: