My Random Thoughts and Experiences

Friday, June 13, 2008

ONE NIGERIA


Do i believe in a One Nigeria, ...Well i would love to believe in it but........

I must say my perception of Nigeria's tribes and ethnic groups have changed over time. I used to be very narrow minded and think Nigeria was only made up oh Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa and everyone had to fall under one category and call it a day. Anyway Glad i am very well educated and don't make such dumb mistakes anymore. Now i wonder what makes someone an indigene or a stranger of a place.
For instance, I was born and raised in Ibadan, Oyo state but if anyone were to ask me where i was from, I would proudly say Abeokuta, Ogun state. Even my last name gives it away that i am either from Lagos or from Ogun state, because of the English last name. Anyway my issue is that if i have lived all my life in a certain place, doesn't that mean i have naturalized and become a citizen of that place? Like as i was born in UCH ibadan, and raised in Ibadan, shouldn't i be said to be from Oyo state (eww) or be able to hold a political office in Oyo state?
I remember when my dad was running for Local Government chairman for Ibadan North local Govt in Oyo state. It was such a hassle because, Oyo state natives swore they would never swear in an ajeji (a stranger) . How can my father be a stranger in oyo state. His father lived in Ibadan, held a public office in Ibadan, my father lived in Ib, paid taxes , ran his business in ib and now they see him as a stranger? Now i think about people complaining about Igbo people in Lagos and how some of them want to run for public office and it seeming absurd. If Mr "Okafor" is like a third generation Lagosian what disqualifies him from running for office in Lagos State.
My mum would argue that oh its different because he is igbo and not Yoruba and a Yoruba man would never even dream of planning to run for office in an Igbo state. Well i dont know about that but i think if everyone thinks that way, then there would never be a One Nigeria.
For example Hillary Clinton, born in Pennsylvania, lived in Arkansas and then senator representing New York....... well we can argue that America is not comparable to Nigeria because of obvious reasons. So do we want a One Nigeria or was Ojukwu right in trying to divide Nigeria, I mean cos its such a hassle thinking oh, Igbo president today, Yoruba tomorrow oh hausa you've done it for too long....or what about the ijaws, ibibios, jukuns, fulanis, efiks, kanuris, Urhobos...etc when would it be their turn?

I guess my question are:
1. Can Bukola Ojo Claim she is from Imo State since she was born and raised there? Or Chinyere Okafor claim she is from Ondo state? Would she be accepted ? Can she run for state Governor without people thinking she is insane?

2. "are u from where u are born, raised, family place, or just where u pay your taxes to"? ( if thats the case I am from America oh cos men... i dey pay tax like crazy for here lol)

13 comments:

naijaleta said...

I totally agree with you. I beleive your state or origin in Nigeria should also be your state of birth or any state you like for that matter. We are all Nigerians after all.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Naijaleta, A nigerian is a nigerian or should i say Naija....lol

Unknown said...

Interesting write-up. This is as complicated for me as it is for you. It's even too long to explain. So I'll just say I'm a yoruba-naija woman with UK nationality.

NaijaBabe said...

This is a very good one.
I believe you are from where your parents come from and not necessarily where you ae born and raised. If you are black and you speak an american accent, you'll still find people that'll ask ou where you are from originally.

In regards to politics, we all know that Nigerian politics has become tribalised hence the 'a non lagosian cannot run for office in Lagos'. Its ridiculous, but it seems like thats how its going to be for quite a while.

webround said...

an Igbo student once tried to run for student's union presidency in Obafemi Awolowo University and they said he would never win, he won.

my ans to your 1st question is "yes". We just need the first person, second, third, and so on to try it till it gets accepted. [in naija] people give up without trying - they say it's not possible or 1 other person tried it and it didn't work. Obama won today bcos of the people who had gone b4 him

ablackjamesbond said...

I am not sure we are at that point yet in Nigeria and am not even sure we can ever get there. Nigerians r deeply tribalistic...it will take a while before we can overlook tribal sentiments and start focusing on pple's competencies and credentials, especially in politics.

I was born and raised in Lagos but if i want to run for governor of any state, believe me, I would go to Ogun state[ my supposed state of origin, where i know no one]...i do not see Lagosians voting a non indigene in as governor, at least not now

Thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

hey blogville idol 08 comes up soon check out my page for more details and let us know in what way u'd like to participate

Chris Ogunlowo said...

B'tful post.

Have you heard?... I now write speeches for Barrack Obama.

Details on my blog.

How's popcy?

Chari said...

I agree with your ideal but unfortunately it is not so back home in 9ja...once again it all boils down to the fact that we nigerians are very very very tribal...

Femi B said...

@naijaleta -na so i see am too oh
@kin'shar - dats right
@naijalines thanks, i think we should just be from wherever we want and call it a day..lol
@naijababe..i hope so soon
@ Webound- i hope there are more breakthrough's like that in all parts of the country
@a blackjamesbond/ charizard- we need to fight tribalism
@ Aloofaa - popsy is fine oh

ababoypart2 said...

I kinda like the way it is, you dont come from where you were born. Makes it a lot easier and isnt like the UK model. But that is where it ends. Being born in Glasgow wouldnt stop you from contesting a political post in Cardiff, and so it should be in Naij.

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

I read this yesterday and had a comment but couldn't put it down immediately. So, today I will say that I agree with you.

Appreciation of one's tribe and heritage is a wonderful thing. However, when such appreciation transforms into a negative characteristic that excludes others, it becomes dangerous.

If a Lagosian of Igbo origin has a great platform and wants to run for local office, the mere fact that Lagos is that person's home and that they are qualified and have good ideas should suffice. They should not be excluded from having an opportunity to improve Lagos for the benefit of all Lagosians.

That being said, it is our generation that must break the cycle and ensure that we don't repeat the mistakes of the past by using Tribalism to divide and conquer.

Thank you for this post.

Femi B said...

@ababoypart2, yes its nice to keep your heritage going but......
@Solomonsydelle, i concur, maybe i should go run for governor in Zamfara???lol someday oh someday